Tuesday 8 June 2010

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog! Allow me to introduce myself...

I am a British-born Ghanaian girl who is very much immersed in my Asante culture, and proud too! However, I've always been a firm believer in learning about different cultures across the world.


Language is very much a part of this. I grew up well-versed in English and Twi (a language of the Asante in Ghana), and have dabbled in French and Spanish here and there. My particular interest in learning the Yoruba language was stimulated from a relationship I am in, but driven by my interest in learning foreign languages.

One thing I'd like to note is that I strongly believe that culture and language are not rigid bodies but change constantly, and moreover, are extremely complex. Yoruba is no exception, since it is spoken in many varieties, and in many parts of the world: West Africa, South America and the Caribbean to name but a few.

I am very much a beginner in learning Yoruba, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Therefore, my journey will be a lengthy one, but one I look forward to! I would like to record this journey through my blog and share the knowledge that I gain from learning it, especially for others that are doing the same, or even those who are fluent in the language. Posting any tips, ideas, or interesting things to note are more than welcome, as are discussions, all of which I will also be doing in my writing of this blog. You can do this by leaving a comment or emailing me.

Now all that's to say is...enjoy!

No comments: